Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cinnamon Gum

I love cinnamon gum. 

From the spicy smell, to the bold red color, and the burst of flavor that explodes in your mouth upon the initial chew, yum…love that cinnamon goodness!

But it doesn’t love me back.

Years and years ago I bought my first pack of that delightfully delicious flavor filled gum and ever since we’ve been at war.

I was an avid gum chewer back then and would chew on a piece of gum for an entire day. So the cinnamon gum I bought was no exception.  I chewed a piece everyday all day for a few days.  It only took two days, but by the end of the second day the inside of my mouth was full of pain.

I self diagnosed that I had burned the inside of my mouth.  It was SO sore that it was hard to eat or drink.  I was in pain for several days following.

Upon this tragic event I did not blame the gum, I shouldered all the blame.  The gum was innocent, it was me.  I should not be chewing gum that long.

So after I healed, and months later after the mental anguish wore off, I tried again but this time I was going to limit myself to half a day because that seemed a much more reasonable time limit.

I had the same results – a burned, sore, inflamed inner mouth.

You know what they say:  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me…wait is that how the saying goes?  Well, whatever, shame on me because it happened again.

Since my second attempt at being friends with cinnamon gum, I gave it up.  Had not, would not, touch the stuff for years.

Then this month I started getting the craving for that spicy, delicious gum. I resisted.  Every time I waited in line at the grocery store that little red package taunted me.  It seemed to call out to me that this time it would be my friend.  It seemed to say just chew me for a short short time and you’ll be fine.

So I caved.  I bought a package this week, but with a self proclaimed time limit of only minutes.

The first day 5 minutes…in my mouth and out.  It was only long enough to get that first initial burst of flavor.  Things were good, my mouth felt fine.

I am not that strong.

The second day it was 30 minutes…

and that’s why it’s 2:06 AM and I’m up writing a blog post about cinnamon gum. 

My mouth is on fire.  It hurts to talk, it hurts to eat (however, it hasn’t stopped me from eating!?!?) and it’s painful enough to keep me from sleep.

I’m shaking my fists at you cinnamon gum.

I feel betrayed.

It’s time to part ways forever.

I now declare cinnamon gum my enemy.

It’s a sad day, but it must be done.

Does anyone else share my enemy?

1 comment:

  1. Reason 299 we are best friends. I LOVE cinnamon gum and buy it because no one around me will steal it from my stash. (My family hates it and burns their mouths.) Sadly, even though I get tons of mouth sores, cinnamon gum and I do get along. I'll chew an extra piece for you today. :)

    ReplyDelete