Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 Phrase

I know we are 12 days into the new year and technically resolutions should be already set and in progress.  But, I’m a teacher at heart and really the “new year” will never start in January it will always be August for me.

I have a hard time feeling like January is a new year because I'm so trained in seeing my calendar year from August to May.  It doesn’t matter that I’ve not been teaching for 3 years, every August I go out and buy my new planner/calendar, start thinking about my goals for the year, and stock up on new office supplies because I just love to feel like I’m starting a new school year whether I’m in the classroom or not.

So for me, January will never be the month I set resolutions.  However, last year one of my bible study leaders presented our group with a different idea.  Rather than resolutions pick a word or phrase that you want your new year to reflect.

Last year I chose “dependent on God”.  I really wanted to be mindful to not rely on myself and my own strength, but God.  Last year I felt like I really did keep this in mind and grew a lot in this area.

It took me awhile this year to decide on my new phrase….apparently it has taken me 11 days past my January 1st deadline, but I have finally decided on my 2013 phrase:  thanksgiving and praise.

I want to focus on giving thanks and praise in all situations and at all times.  I truly believe what your mind focuses on your attitude will reflect.  Therefore, I’m going to focus on being thankful and giving praise!

What would be your word/phrase of focus for 2013?

“Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment