Saturday, October 23, 2010

Parenthood Trumps Plans

When you become a parent you give your life over to the needs of your child.  Let’s be honest, not because you always want to, but because you need to do what’s best for your child.  Tonight Chris and I had a real dose of reality with this concept.

We had plans to go over to some friend’s house for a game night.  Corbin and I have both been battling sickness this week, so this was really our first time out and about around others all week.  Yahoo!…freedom from the house! 

A group of us gathered, the kids were playing and the adults were talking.  It was a great time!  What a nice way to spend an evening.  It was getting to be around 8:00, Corbin’s bedtime, so Chris sat down and feed him a bottle and we hoped that he would fade quietly into slumberland.

Well, quiet and slumber did not come even close to occurring.  How about a hacking, loud cough that brought a torrent of milk vomit pouring out of Corbin’s mouth and nose.  Oh yes people, it projectiled out all over Chris, our friends’ carpet, and their couch. 

I’ll give it to Chris, he calmly sat there while I ran to go clean up the mess on him, Corbin, and the surrounding area. 

Luckily, we were with a group of sympathetic parents.  They all understood, they all offered support.  I felt HORRIBLE that this was all over someone else’s carpet and couch.  But, our sweet wonderful hosts were just awesome.  They made me feel like it wasn’t a huge nasty mess, that my kid hadn’t just smelled up the room, that this was no big deal.  Ahh, what wonderful liars :) But it really did make me feel better…so thanks.!

Anyway, we packed our soaking wet child up…because despite what I said after the diaper blow out awhile ago, I had not packed extra clothes like I said I always would from now on.  I just didn’t foresee anything happening tonight.  I thought he would sleep.  I thought we would be accident free.  Oh people, when oh when will I learn! 

We drove home and that sweet child of ours just babbled and cooed all the way home.  He didn’t seem bothered by the path of destruction he left.  Nope, he was doing fine, which is a good thing, but really does he have no shame? ;)

We got home and after putting on my hazmat suit changed the child and washed out his clothes, Chris’ clothes, and the burp rag that literally held a half gallon of throw-up.  GROSS!!

So our plans for tonight were to have fun hanging out with friends, but our reality…clean up milk vomit, do laundry, write a blog post, and go to bed early.  Oh well, I guess this is what they call parenthood:)


Corbin’s Clean Up (because really the pictures of Corbin are really what keep you 10 readers coming back;)

IMG_1576I’m getting clean!

IMG_1579

Oh my! Is this picture necessary now?  I just got out of the tub, sheesh.

IMG_1580

Ok, now I’m ready for my close up.  Come on, closer.  You gotta get a good shot of this face.

1 comment: