Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What the What–Spaghetti Squash

I’ve heard about it.  I’ve read about it.  I’ve seen it.  But I’ve never tried it before – until yesterday.

I took the plunge and had spaghetti squash and it was…

DELICIOUS!!

It was absolutely wonderful and truly tasted great.

Once you’ve cooked spaghetti squash you just run a fork through it and it looks like noodles.  Put some sauce on it and it tastes very similar to spaghetti noodles, just a little more crunchy.

This was a hit and I highly recommend that you give it a try.  It’s a healthy alternative to spaghetti noodles and will curb that carb desire…promise!

Below is a recipe from joybauer.com:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 squash, spaghetti
  • 1 jar(s) marinara sauce,
  • 8 tablespoon cheese, Parmesan, grated

PREPARATION

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Using a very sharp knife, cut a spaghetti squash in half (lengthwise) and scrape out the seeds and pulp. Place the two squash halves cut side-down on a baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a sharp knife can be inserted into the outer shell with little resistance.

Run a fork through the inside of the cooked squash to create spaghetti-like strands. Toss the squash strands with marinara sauce and serve. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.

(If you’re interested I made a small squash and each half yielded about 1 cup of “noodles”.  So I ate 1 cup of noodles with 1/2 cup marinara, and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.)

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment