Sunday, May 12, 2013

Wonderstruck

image

 Wonderstruck by Brain Selznick is on the 2013-2014 William Allen White Award list recommended for 3rd-5th graders.

I picked it up and read it less then two days!  It was one of the most interesting written children’s books I’ve read in awhile.

The book has two storylines.  One is about Ben and the other is about Rose.  Ben’s story takes place in the ‘70s using words while Rose’s story is during the late‘20s told in black and white illustrations. 

The two storylines are intertwined throughout the book and have a touching connection at the end. 

What I liked the best as a reader was figuring out why these two stories were being told in the same book.  As I read I knew they must connect so finding the clues and putting the story together was fun and engaging.

It’s unique to have one entire plot line told in illustrations. I know that some adults or older kids shy away from books with illustrations, but don’t.  This book proves that a picture can contain an infinite amount of information and tell a story sometimes better then words.

The book is huge, 637 pages long, but it goes fast because of the numerous pages of illustrations.  So don’t let the size scare young readers off. 

I believe this would be an ideal summer read for parents and kiddos to do together.  There are so many opportunities to have discussion and make predications about what is going to happen.

I highly recommend you check this book out for an interesting and engaging read.  I think you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment