Thursday, March 7, 2013

“Reading”

Corbin LOVES books which makes this teacher/librarian momma super happy.

One tiresome side effect to this love of books is the repeated readings.  And by repeated I mean we read them at least 20 times a day!  But that’s a good thing for him. 

Young readers like to have books read and read because they are taking in new details at every reading.  Part of the process of learning to read is to be able to retell stories and often they will memorize the books and then “read” them.

Corbin has entered into the retelling/memorizing stage of reading and it’s so fun to hear!

Now, I’ve been trying to record him reading for awhile, but it’s not been happening.  As soon as I try to record him he stops, freezes, and looks at me like he has no idea how to do anything I ask of him!?!?

I’m sure I’m not the only parent to deal with what I’ve termed the “recording freeze”.  As soon as I put away the camera to record he returns to normal and does the amazing, cute, wonderful thing I wanted to record….SO ANNOYING!

So, to capture this recording of him “reading” I tried out a technique I think photographers in the wild use.  Seriously, not kidding.  I treated my son like a wild animal in his natural habitat;)

I took out the camera and recorded knowing I would get junk, which I did.  But I didn’t say anything.  I let him watch said junk because he likes to do that.  Then I proceeded to just sit there with my camera poised as if I was going to record.  I sat there minutes upon minutes until he lost interest in me and returned to a semi normal state.

Really, it’s ridiculous what I went through, but here’s my rare and ok recording of Corbin “reading” Tip Tip Dig Dig by Emma Garcia:

No comments:

Post a Comment