Monday, September 7, 2015

School Time Confessionals -- Lunch and Pictures

I dislike packing a lunch, but with Corbin’s celiac disease it just makes it a much better option than trying to navigate school lunches.

I never know what to pack for lunches.  This kid loves meat…bologna, summer sausage, little smokies, and pepperonis round out his favorites.  So I pack those with healthy sides like fruit, veggies, pretzels, yogurt, etc.

I had no idea what other people would be packing.  This school has parents that I feel could fall very far on the wagon of crazy healthy eating with creative food art served daily in the kids lunch boxes. I figured that once they spied the real bologna, fat filled pepperonis, and beef smokies in his lunch bag judgment would abound. 

Did other kids bring their lunch bursting with green salads, turkey burgers, veggie pepperonis, and only organic all natural items?!?!?

For the last few weeks I’ve been trying to gather intel on what others are bringing in their lunches.  And of course, having a boy, he’s oblivious to everything but his own food.

However, just this week I had a break in the case.  Corbin was chit chatting about his lunch time and mentioned that someone had skittles!  And then he said that a chip fell on the ground from someone else!  Yes, this is sounding great…sugary bites of candy and greasy potato chips can be found in the lunch boxes around you, yes! 

I’m sure there are lunch boxes bursting with God’s garden of fruits and vegetables but it made me feel better knowing that the meats I’m sending Corbin are no worse than Skittles and chips.

I figure that I fall within the eyebrow raise zone but not the drop your jaw disbelief zone if they were judging my kid’s meal.

School Confession –- Lunch is hard. 

But somewhat equally as frustrating and hard is picture day.

Here’s Corbin dressed and ready for picture day.  Somehow this picture does not inspire much confidence that the bazillion dollars I shelled out for pictures is going to be well worth it. 

And this my friends is the frustrating and hard part…times have changed.  You now have to pay for pictures BEFORE they actually take them and BEFORE you actually get to see them.  It’s like playing the picture lottery…will I win, will I won’t…my prior and limited experience about the lottery tells me that I’ll probably lose.

School Confession – Picture Day is a money pit.

20150831_125434526_iOS

No comments:

Post a Comment