Monday, August 24, 2015

How Many More Weeks To Go?

So, our household survived the first week of kindergarten. I’m not sure how, but we did.

Let’s start by saying the amount of homework I have been given as a parent of a kindergartener was obnoxiously large. Chris and I had to write a letter to the teacher talking about Corbin. We helped Corbin create an “All About Me” t-shirt. We created a family page to go into a class book that will then travel home to each classmate’s family so we can get to know each other. And finally, I have been scrambling, shopping, and scavenging around to find two week’s worth of specific colors for 10 straight days of colored-themed clothing which starts this week. (A pink shirt in his size was a challenge!)

Don’t get me wrong, it’s all great stuff, I just wasn’t expecting that much in a week. It was exhausting!

Unfortunately, despite all my careful reading, highlighting, and note-taking, Corbin came home on Friday telling us about how other kids brought things for show and tell…umm, oops! He also explained how each student brought their show and tell in a red bag.

Hmm, I read, I highlighted, and I took notes over every piece of material they gave us and I did not see a red bag. I double-checked, and once I was sure I decided to send my first e-mail to Corbin’s teacher.

Don’t worry, it all came up roses for me. :)  I had not missed anything. Apparently, a red bag had dropped on the floor and the teacher did not know whose it was. Take a guess…yup, it was Corbin’s bag. We’ll try for show and tell this Friday.

Finally, the car pick up line. I never understood it when mothers would Instagram their stack of magazines or their kids watching a movie with the hashtag “waiting or school pick up”. But now I get it. I have to be there at least 25 minutes early to even be remotely near the school and towards the front of the line! It’s crazy!

Then, once I do get up in front of the school to pick up my child it’s like an army drill of how fast he can get in and buckled up before nasty looks are thrown your way….it’s scary!

Chris and I actually changed Corbin’s car seat to a booster because it was taking too long in line. We also had “drills” this weekend to see how fast he could get in and out of the car. This is serious business people! I had no idea.

If this is kindergarten then what will the rest of the years hold for us? I’m not ready. Will I survive? Who knew elementary school could be so stressful….and I’m a teacher!!

Being a parent of a student is definitely a different perspective than being a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. A- to the Men! I am confident school is harder on parents than kids, especially these early years. The homework, organization, follow up, communication--- stressful! One week down! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete