Monday, August 25, 2014

Just Call Me Martha Stewart

Mondays, I love them!  I know, most people don’t and I used to be one.  Then I got my job and this amazing schedule where I don’t work on Mondays or Fridays and suddenly Mondays are awesome.

It’s like I’m playing hooky, but I’m not.  It’s my day to catch up and regroup for the week.

So, today after spending a glorious fun filled weekend at the lake I spent Monday morning cleaning.  No, that’s not where the title comes in.  My level of cleaning probably doesn’t match hers.

Then Corbin and I tackled an “art/decorating” project.  We added a road scene to Corbin’s room using decorative wall stickers.

I had never used them before, but saw them at target.  They matched Corbin’s sheets, so for $13.00 I gave it a try.  I love them!  They were so easy to throw up and really add a cute touch to the his room in a nonpermanent way.

I think Martha would be semi proud of my “crafting”.

20140825_230150547_iOS

But, my true Stewart moment was….

20140825_224939506_iOS

the beautiful stuffed roasted red pepper. (The picture is my end result). It was delicious and looked fabulous.  I know Martha would be proud!  I have included the recipe below if you want to try.  I roasted my asparagus before I put it in the mixture.  I also did not add as much goat cheese as the recipe recommends.  In my opinion, goat cheese has a strong flavor and a little goes a long way.  I loved it in the dish though.

My husband and son had just the quinoa mixture.  I can not lure them to loving peppers.  Corbin did not like it, but whatever and Chris was ok with it.  Again, take that with a grain of salt…they are picky.

I loved it and thought this would make a perfect and impressive side dish.

quinoa stuffed peppers {with goat cheese}

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

quinoa stuffed peppers {with goat cheese}

This recipe makes a great light lunch or healthy side dish. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Ingredients

  • 4 red bell peppers (any color will do, or a mix)
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 5-ounce log goat cheese
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Slice bell peppers in half, remove stem, seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, cut side down, onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast peppers for 15-20 minutes until just starting to char and soften. Remove from oven, flip pepper halves over and set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, place quinoa in a dry saucepan over medium heat. Toast quinoa, stirring or shaking pan often, about 8-10 minutes or until just turning a light brown. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook quinoa for 10-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
  4. Mix together garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and black pepper, whisk until combined.
  5. Place quinoa, cherry tomatoes and asparagus in a medium-sized bowl. Add dressing and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Fill pepper halves with quinoa mixture. Divide goat cheese into 8 portions and crumble over the top.
  7. Place stuffed peppers back in oven for 5 minutes until asparagus is crisp-tender and tomatoes and goat cheese are softened.
  8. Can serve immediately or at room temperature.

http://www.thewickednoodle.com/quinoa-stuffed-peppers/

I got to end my Monday at the pool and doing laundry.  All in all it was a great day.  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment