Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Random Tidbits

**Last week I hosted a literacy café for my 4th graders.  This was a way to introduce my students to three specific genres (science fiction, mystery, and realistic fiction) as well as engage them in books they may not have looked at otherwise.

One of my main goals as an elementary librarian is to develop and inspire a love for reading.  This activity certainly peeked some interest! 

Before they even came into the library I told them they had reservations for the literacy café and they had no clue what I was talking about.  Some of the expressions were priceless.

After explaining the concept the kids chose a table and previewed a variety of books, from the three specific genres, recording  books that they felt they would be interested in checking out.  They had an opportunity to share out to a partner and the class different books they liked and why they thought it might be a good check out.

During this time I also served some chocolate chip cookie as dessert to sweeten their main meal of books.

It was a fun morning with my 4th graders! 

 

20140130_144801514_iOS

20140130_144748497_iOS

**Corbin had a birthday party to attend and he created his own birthday card.  I love this age because he had a specific idea in mind and a “design” concept he wanted to carry out.  So cute to watch!

20140131_194627064_iOS

20140131_194634883_iOS

**We finally had a our first snow day of the year!  Unfortunately, I’m still recovering from the stomach bug and Corbin has a cold.

All this being said, on this our first snow day I also had another first.  Corbin CHOSE to lay on the couch during his quiet time.  In fact, he even brought out his pillow and blanket.  He told me he would not be closing his eyes and that he just wanted to lay on the couch.  No problem, I assured him.  Well 10 minutes later here’s what I find…

20140204_195604406_iOS

Precious!

**Finally, what’s a snow day without cuddling up in bed.

20140203_224437961_iOS

Stay warm and enjoy your snow day (if you got one)!  Let’s hope for another one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment