Friday, September 21, 2012

“Oh Well”

I love the Jesus Calling daily devotional book.  It provides a quick read that can really pack a punch and gets your thinking started in the right direction for the day.

The September 20th passage was about perspective.  I’m sure no one else has a problem, but sometimes I have a problem with perspective.  Specifically, keeping everything in the right perspective.  I tend to blow things out of proportion…can anyone relate?

Today in Jesus Calling this was stated:

“When little things don't go as you had hoped, look to God lightheartedly and say “oh well”.  This simple discipline can protect you from being burdened with an accumulation of petty cares and frustrations.  If you practice this diligently, you will make a life-changing discovery:  You realize that most of the the things that worry you are not important.”

Wow, so simple, just say “oh well”.  But, what jumped out at me was that doing this is a DISCIPLINE and takes PRACTICE.  Yes, this sounds easy to do, but it’s not.  So like with many things it will take practice and discipline to become proficient at this skill.

I had already been working a little on doing this, but I’m now committed to putting in more practice and trying to be disciplined in all situations to put things into perspective.  Look at the world more from an eternal perspective and the goal is one day I too can be like the apostle Paul and see that all my troubles are light and momentary, compared with the eternal glory awaiting me.

So that’s my challenge to myself and you (if you too have perspective issues:) embrace the attitude of “oh well” and look toward God.  Let’s practice and be disciplined in this and see what happens.  I’m positive it will be a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment