Friday, August 3, 2012

Olympics 2012

Anyone else watching the Olympics?  Ha, I know, who isn’t watching!  I do love to watch them.  I’ve stayed up far too late getting caught up in the competitions.  My favorite part is to learn about the athletes and their stories.  It’s so interesting to me to hear about their training, their families, and their challenges.

I also have delusions when I watch the Olympics.  These athletes make everything look SO easy.  I watch gymnastics and I think in my head that, with just a little practice, I too could do a double back flip with a full twist!  Or of course, with just a little training, I too could swim the 100 meter backstroke in mere seconds.  Let’s not even go into how “easy” the sand volleyball games look…all I would need is a good day of skills practice and then I too could be out there hitting the ball with ease.  Am I alone in this type of thinking? ;)

The Olympics also bring me heartache.  I feel so sad for those athletes who have spent most of their life training for moments like this and then they don’t medal or have a colossal breakdown (i.e. USA men’s gymnasts!).  I can’t even imagine the disappointment they feel.  But then I’m also inspired because so many of these athletes seem to deal with these losses in stride.  Yes, they’re upset and disappointed, but they seem ready to go back, train some more and try again.  Umm, no thanks, I think I would be packing my bags and hitting the Ben and Jerry’s!  Perhaps that’s why I’m not an Olympic athlete…among other reasons:)

We can all take a page from the athletes who handle adversity so well.  What a strong positive mental attitude they have.  Maybe I can’t compete like an Olympic athlete, but I can certainly try to think more like one…and who knows maybe one day….nope never mind I think I’ve passed the prime of ever making gold;)

No comments:

Post a Comment