Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pealicious

Today was taxing; I slaved, sweated, and stood on my feet for a whole half hour over a hot stove and a Cuisinart food processor. All for the love of my son.  Just call me a domestic goddess, mom of the year, queen of my domain. ;)

I made my first attempt at making baby food for Corbin.  He’s shown a lot of interest in food, but he’s not such a big fan of rice cereal. 

So, I decided this weekend that, in addition to morning cereal, we would start an evening veggie.  First up: peas!

(Let’s take a moment to pause and let me put a disclaimer on this post.  I did not endeavor to make baby food because I’m a whole-health nut, gotta-go-organic person.  I just thought that since Chris and I eat veggies – and we’re trying to eat more – how hard could it be to just take those and puree them up?  Really, it’s as simple as that.  And honestly, as I reflect, it’s a little disappointing that I don’t have a soapbox to get on or a cause that I would like to endorse about store-bought baby food; it would make this post a whole lot more controversial and who doesn’t like a little drama in the mix…maybe I’ll work on that:)

Anyway, moving onward with my tale of domestic achievement. As you’ll see the complexity of the steps to make this baby food is a little overwhelming.  So, I have clearly labeled each step to ensure that the “average” person could easily follow.

First:  Open a bag of peas and dump them into a steamer, then steam for seven minutes.

IMG_1273

Second: Dump the steamed peas into the food processor and puree.

IMG_1278

Third:  Pour into ice cube trays to freeze for future use.

IMG_1280

Finally:  Eat and enjoy!

IMG_1282

“What in the world?  This crazy lady is at it again.”

IMG_1283

Do I have green on my lips?”

IMG_1292

“Whatever, it’s fine.”

IMG_1290

“Mom….mom, maybe that’s enough for right now.  The spoon’s blocking my face from the camera.”

IMG_1291

“Fine, defeat for today.  Give me the peas, I can take it.”

IMG_1294

“Oh I’m full.  All done for today.  What?  I still have green on my face...are you kidding me?”

So, the first attempt at making and eating was pealicious. 

We’ll see how long I get to wear the title of domestic goddess. ;)

IMG_1266

Corbin, what do you think?

IMG_1272

“Pealicious!”

1 comment: