Sunday, December 8, 2013

Random Act of Kindness

Corbin and I were at Hobby Lobby a few days ago, and this is the time of year where that store is at the height of business at all times of the day. 

I braved the crowds to return some unused ribbon and buy some supplies for a children’s church class that I am leading on Sunday (pray for me!). 

Anyway, the return line was only two people deep, and we were third in line.  That doesn’t sound bad until you realize that Hobby Lobby, while being a wonderful store, has a slow return procedure and the person first in line had at least 10 items that she was returning! 

Therefore, we had a L-O-N-G wait.  Corbin surmised what was going on quickly and loudly said “This is going to take FOREVER!  She has SO much stuff, Mom.”

However true this statement may have been it’s not polite to express it.  So, I’m talking to Corbin about this social etiquette while this sweet older woman waiting in front of us turns and just agrees with Corbin and laughs.

Corbin and I wait, we talk, we play games, we discuss lifeWinking smile  And he does ok with being patient.

Finally, the line moves and the older lady in front of us starts checking out and asks me if Corbin likes M&Ms.  I said yes and she then proceeds to grab a bag from the check out stand.

Corbin asks why she’s getting those and the sweet lady pays for them and gives them to Corbin saying it was because he so patiently waited for our turn.

Corbin was beyond thrilled!  This sweet lady made my little boy’s day by buying a small bag of M&Ms.

As a mom, it was nice to know that she thought he did a great job.  I mean he was ok, I wouldn’t call it perfect, but maybe that’s the point.  He’s not going to be perfect and someone else, from the outside, looked at this little boy and saw a 3 year old who acted like a nice, behaved, patient 3 year old.  She saw him for who he was whereas sometimes I look at him for what he’s not…ouch!

My little guy is a pretty awesome 3 year old and I pray that I can more often look at him through eyes of grace and not with those seeking only perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment