Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What the What Wednesday – Green Beans

I purchased a can of unsalted green beans at the store. Really there’s only one word for them…yuck.  After years of eating the regular canned green beans these leave something to be desired.  So first of all…what the what that I picked up the wrong can! 

I’m starting to feel old.  This is what old people do…pick up the wrong things because there are so many choices and you really have to read to see what you’re getting.  And in fact, with the green beans I agree.  The cans are exactly the same except for the two words no salt above the title green beans.  Really, I have a child with me, I don’t read that closely.

Anyway, I didn’t realize I had made this mistake until dinnertime.  We were having spaghetti and Corbin had finished his first helping and wanted more.  However, he hadn’t touched his green beans.  He was told he had to eat some beans before he could get more pasta.

So he put one in his mouth, chewed, and spit it out.  This is completely odd because Corbin likes green beans.  Chris and I knew something was amiss so we tried the beans and, being the adults we are, gagged the bean down.

Crap!  The beans were kind of gross. That’s when I looked closely at the can and noticed my mistake. So I amended and took out three beans and put them in front of Corbin to eat.  (In all fairness I ate three myself…they weren’t that bad). 

Ok, this boy took the bean to his mouth, pretended to eat it but then let the beans fall into his highchair where they could not be seen.  All three beans…what the what!  This boy is already trying to be sneaky?!?

Then he proceeded to say “All done, more pasta please.”  Yes, the please came unprompted and as you can imagine it was said in the sweetest way. 

Oh my goodness, Chris cracked right there and had to hide his laughing face behind his napkin while “Stonefaced Mamma” dealt with the situation. Ok, I cracked too, but only for an instant.

Corbin got another three beans in front of him as I pulled the three fallen beans from the chair to show I had seen what happened.  He did eat the three new beans, albeit with great flair and dramatics.  The faces of disgust and repulsion were amusing but I’m happy to report that he survived, got more pasta, and the beans were not seen again that evening.

What the what!?!? Corbin is already trying to pull a fast one on us.  Oh my!  What does the future hold. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment